WP-SMS plugin is integrated with Twilio Gateway and by using them together, you are able to send SMS around the world!
How to configure the Twilio gateway?
All requests to Twilio must be authenticated using your Account SID and Auth Token. You can access both of these credentials through your Twilio console.
Follow the below steps and fill out the fields:
- Go to your gateway Twilio Console
- Copy your Account SID and Auth Token
- Then, go to WP SMS Plugin » Settings » Gateway
- Paste those credentials to Account SID and Auth Token
- Finally, Save Changes to see Gateway Status is activated!
How to configure the Twilio gateway for bulk SMS?
Create a New Notify Service ID
If you have ever sent an SMS through Twilio, then you know that the API request normally includes the Twilio phone number as the sender. Using Twilio Notify differs from attaching a Twilio phone number to a Messaging Service. Notify uses to automatically select based on the notification channel.
We’ll walk you through how to do that.
1. Purchase a phone number
You will need a Twilio phone number to deliver the message. If you haven’t purchased one, log into your console and navigate to Phone Numbers > Manage > Buy a number.
2. Attach the phone number to Messaging Service
After your number has been purchased, it will need to be connected to a Messaging Service. Messaging Services are used to bundle senders (phone numbers) with a predefined set of features and responses.
They are perfect if you have one endpoint that needs to provide the same response, but maybe different regions. With a message service, one API response could respond to all of your subscribers in different countries, with different numbers.
In the console, navigate to Messaging > Services. If you don’t have a messaging service to use, create one by clicking on the blue Create Messaging Service button.
When the prompt loads, input “Send Bulk SMS” as the Messaging Service Name. Click on the blue Create button once you’re done.
Once the service is created, you will be redirected to the Sender Pool. This option allows you to add your phone number as a sender. Follow the prompts by clicking on the Add Senders button.
3. Assign the Messaging Service to a Notify Service
Next, the Messaging service will need to be assigned to a Notify Service.
Twilio Notify is a service that makes it possible to reach one customer or a million on their preferred channel with just one API call. The key for our use case is that because it’s one API call, the likelihood of it completing within 30 seconds is drastically higher.
Notify Services also allow you to segment your data based on use-case. You could essentially segment your Messaging Services based on environment (dev, staging, prod) by assigning them to different Notify Services.
From your Twilio console, go to Explore Products and click on Notify.
After that, navigate to Notify > Services from the Twilio Console and click the plus sign to create a new Notify Service.
Let’s name it “Bulk Notification.” Click on the red Create button to move on.
Once redirected to the configuration page, assign the Messaging Service SID via the dropdown and click Save.
After you have defined the Notify Service a SID will be generated for you.
Then, enter that in the WP SMS Plugin » Settings » Gateway » Notify SID
Here are some solutions to resolve issues you faced with Twilio & WP SMS:
- Make sure you are not using the trial Twilio account.
- Make sure the number appears in your verified numbers list in your Twilio console. If it doesn’t, then you will need to verify it from that page first.
- Try to send SMS with or without the mobile country code (You can empty the country code on the Setting » General as well)
- Make sure the destinations’ numbers are correct.
- Make sure the sender-id is correct and you have enough credit on your account balance.
If you are still having problems sending SMS, contact us.